Thursday, November 22, 2012

Vampire Knight

So I'm (codename: Angel) and I'm addicted to manga and comics.

"Hi Angel."

I've been thinking I'll unload all my fangirling here. Trying to think of a nice name for it. Like Angel's Reads, Useless Thoughts, Angel's Book Club. Whatever. Not so much important.

According to mangaupdates.com I've read over 90 mangas and I'm in the process of reading 100... Idk how accurate that is because I have a ton of mangas that I've lost interest in or no longer being scanlated.

My current obssession right now is Vampire Knight. Omg, it's awesome. I've been following since the beginning and now it's about to end. *sad face*

For those of you who don't know about Vampire Knight here a summary from wikipedia.
 Yuki's earliest memory is of a stormy night in winter, where she was attacked by a vampire... And then rescued by another. Now 10 years later, Yuki Cross, the adopted daughter of the headmaster of Cross Academy, Kaien Cross, has grown up and become a guardian of the vampire race, protecting her childhood crush, Kaname, from discovery as he leads a group of vampires at the elite boarding school. But also at her side is Zero Kiryu, a childhood friend whose hatred for the creatures that destroyed everything he held dear leaves him determined never to trust them. This coexisting arrangement seems all well and good, but have the vampires truly renounced their murderous ways, or is there a darker truth behind their actions? Because in this world of secrets, nothing is as it seems. And the price of misplaced trust may even be worse than death. 
 It actually develops very well and this is without a doubt the best work Hino Matsuri has ever wrote (and I've read all her mangas).

Vampire Knight vs, Twilight

A lot of Twilight-haters always are the first people who are against this manga because people tend to relate this with the Twilight Saga. It does have their similarities at first because they are both written in a typical shoujo format --->Two guys who want one girl. But I can assure you, Vampire Knight is so much better and it doesn't have any awkward acting lol. The main herorine in Vampire Knight (Yuuki) unlike Bella (from Twilight) is a very strong headed character. She doesn't make ridculously stupid decisions (Yuuki decisions can be stupid, but they are often very well thought out) and she has some type of defense against vampires. Also the lead vampire (Kaname in VK) isn't as creepy as Edward (twilight). I also want to add, as the stories go on the plots get significantly different. Twilight is more realistic to teens, I guess. Whereas Vampire Knight is full of dark and twisted romanticsm. Also writing technique for Vampire Knight is on a whole different level. Every chapter has symbolism, foreshadowing, and suspense. Every chapter I keep screaming NOOO when Matsuri Hino throws another curve ball. Twilight's plot is very straight forward and lack much use of literary devices.

Symbolism in Vampire Knight:
Warning Spoilers below. I can't explain them very well but I want to put these open to discussion.


  • Masks.
  • White and Black Uniforms
  • The length of Yuki's hair
  • Heels
  • Artemis (moon goddess)
  • The name Yuki (snow/ princess)
  • Roses
I can't really explain masks well  but I've noticed that they have a meaning. Ichiru wears a mask, the masquerade ball, the mask falling off Zero's face.  Little things.
I did take a lot of notice about the black and white uniforms. Notice this photo above? This was the promo art for Vampire Knight before it's actual release. I always wondered why did Hino draw them all in white when Yuki and Zero should be wearing black. This is actually foreshadowing future events. That they all turn into vampires O.o. Surprising enough, Zero is the only one who never actually wore a white uniform. He might in the future. Another big question is why Yuki and Kaname are on the same side of the fence while the rest are not. Probably a nod to their blood ties.

Yuki's hair represents who she belongs to. When her hair is long, she belongs to Kaname. When her hair is short, she belongs to Zero.
I guess heels and artemis are both a given because they are both explained in the book. Yuuki's name is actually a symbol itself. It could mean snow or princess. Yuki was found in the middle of snowy field by Kaname. and later she is the Princess of the Kuran House. Nice play on words, Hino.
The only symbolism I can't come to understand is Roses. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE. Zero's tattoo, Yuuki's bracelet, Kaname's gift to Yuki, Kaname wilters a rose in the first chapter, Ichiru slashes the rose on Zero's jacket. I can't make sense of it.

Sighhhh enough "reading to deep into it". Here's some pretty art.

 Another mask! I never noticed it before.

 I spy three roses in this picture!


No comments:

Post a Comment