Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Jesus & Antonio Estrada Spring 2014 Collection

Have you ever had a Cinderella moment? I've came to believe that I rack up so much bad luck so consistently that some good luck just strangely turns my way. This event happened two days after a series of misfortune events.

In the midst of me trying to get some projects done, going to school, and  going to work, I honestly don't have much free time nor do I have the resources to enjoy my free time. Whenever I have free time and the resources I take a trip to FIT, get some spirit and enjoy the good times with my best friends.

Last week however was a very unlucky week. I had very little to no resources, I had no hours at work and really sleep deprived and irritated at myself.  I winded down in Manhattan, spending the last of resources that Tuesday, just to find out that two things were happening on Thursday that I wouldn't be able to attend: Michelle Phan's Meet and Greet and Estrada's Spring Fashion Show.

Finally a ray of luck shined on me, my professor for Intro to Fashion Industries sprung my class some discounted tickets to the Estrada Fashion Show.

If you don't know about the Estrada Twins then you're obviously living under a rock. Jesus Estrada was participant on Project Runway Season 7 while Antonio Estrada was featured on Discover En Espanol's Norte Sur, a fashion documentary. They both have their quite a bit of celeb status and plus they are really good looking.

I was super excited; since I almost missed out because I rsvp very late, I couldn't find the outfit I orignally had intended on wearing so I had to run back and forth between White Plains and Rockland County (by bus btw which is the worst thing ever), then a huge thunderstorm (one of the worst I've ever seen) came down on us. That doesn't even cover half the bad luck I had that day. 

Beside the rain, there was a good turn out. The proceeds were going to charity and there was a bit of famous people there. The show felt really intimate (I happened to be the only one to publicly flip out to see Jesus Estrada less than a foot away behind my classmate, thank god I had food in my mouth so he didn't quite notice fml) and the scenery was nothing less then gorgeous. It was a huge contrast to the plain runways that I'm used to seeing. 

In comparison to everyone that was there, I stuck out like a sore thumb!


I couldn't find the clothes I originally picked (and still can't wtf) so I just wore whatever in a room fully of very chic fashionistas. I recognized some bloggers there but I was too scared to talk to any of them. I didn't have a dslr and a chanel clutch. I had a battered vinatage bag, 2 point and shoot cameras  (both of whom I gave up on and used my ipod's camera). 

Anyway focusing on the show. Did I fail to mention how gorgeous the runway was? Everything was floral and portrayed a beautiful yet Gothic imagery of a forest. The collection itself however was hardly Gothic.

The collection did have the somewhat dark imagery which is somewhat classic to the Estrada style. The designers ignored the supposed mainstream trends for Spring 2014 (which included washed out pastels and pale color-schemes) instead the opted for various of subtle pinks, golds, acid dye fabric along with their signature black. 

I don't think I've seen many designers who would boldly put that much black in a Spring line but I loved it! They did stick to some trends however. They featured trendy silhouettes  like the feminine bouffant (bell-shaped) and less structured tubular silhouettes.

I was in so much awe (and hassling to take pictures and notes at the same time fml) that I was super upset when the show ended. Too soon for me.
My classmates were in even more less composed awe. One of them actually started tearing lol. 
After the show, we watched as guests and press stormed the designers. At first, I didn't want to bother them and I was hoping I could just take a pic or two. Then I caught myself, when my classmate said "Man, I would do anything to be on that runway."

For my dreams I would do anything right? So why wasn't I mingling with these models and talking to Jesus and Antonio Estrada?!



So my first prey was Andria Lynn, follow her on instagram @_trippylynn ! I did a quick Q and A with her.  She stood out to me the most on the runway and she was brimming confidence. 

Q. How did you get into this show?

A:  Well the Estradas designed my sisters prom dress an we kept a good family relationship since. So you know...

Q. How did you feel about this show?

A: It was amazing!! The show had so much energy and the models are all very friendly. You can never really understand how great it feels until you spend those few seconds on the catwalk.

I also asked model Hally Thoron similar questions.
Q. How did you find out about this show?
A. I actually walked in their store one day and the brothers were like "Woah! Do you want to do our show?"
Q. How did you feel about this show?
A. The clothes were fabulous!!

Q. Are you willing to participate in the next show?
A. Of course!! The show was so much fun.

I managed to even bother Jesus despite he was sooo obviously busy. Everyone was swamping him and Antonio. 


Q. May I ask what inspired when you were working on this collection?
A. Just the feeling of spring and nature, really. I always like darker colors for my line so this was no exception. 


Can you imagine how happy I was as I was leaving? So happy that I managed to break a glass...
Designers always have been a driving force of inspiration for me and the fact that I got to attend his show and be able to share this with all of you is an even bigger excitement for me. 

Thank you Jesus and Antonio for allowing to attend, thank you for inviting us to your next show in October. Thank you to the models that I got to talk to and take pictures with. Make sure to follow the twins on twitter and instagram to keep up with them and find out about more shows @jesusestrada and @tonioestrada

They have their own shop Marteal & Estrada that sells custom and ready wear clothes. They are quite well known for their prom dresses. 

Guess who wears their clothes?? Yep, Carly Rose Sonenclar. You may know her as the runner up from Season 2- X-Factor. 

Now tips for attending fashion show:

1. If you are going to take pictures make sure you are ready for all types of weather! It rained so hard that my freshly curled hair had frizzed to the max. I fixed this twisting and braiding my hair into a neat bun but the damage was already done. Next time I will have a weave in my head!!

2. Mingle!! Make friends as much as you can, you never know!

3. Dslr or iphone 5. Anything else is not suited for taking pics on the runway.

4. Always wear heels, the industry runs on heels.

Other than that good luck my fellow fashionistas and hopefully we will see each other at another show!










No comments:

Post a Comment